This bell shaped architecture stands majestically on a cliff and is one of the oldest European monuments built at the East African coast in 1498 amidst Muslim resistance. It was built by the Portuguese to give direction for those who were following the sea route to India.
This was Kenya’s first Christian symbol located today in Malindi; the pillar was erected in Malindi by the Portuguese explorer Vasco Da Gama in 1498. The current location is not its original location. It was moved there due to security reasons many years after being installed by Vasco Da Gama.